Change Direction of Pergo

Old 08-22-09, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Change Direction of Pergo

I have an L shaped area for a new laminate floor.
I want both legs of the L to have Pergo planks running the "short way" requiring a layout reversal in the middle. At the middle I will want to connect several end tongues into a single side groove.
When I called Pergo and asked if this could be done at first I got a NO, then a conditional YES followed by suggesting I look up "SLIP TONGUE" on Google.
Is this an acceptable installation practice?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-09, 06:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I use slip tongues all the time with 3/4" hardwood flooring. A must when doing closets, etc. I have never heard of one for a laminate floor. I understand what you want to do, and it seems viable. HOWEVER, you are changing the direction of the grain, and I am afraid you will have unequal "pull" on the grains and the joint will eventually fail. Others may have had experience with it and will chime in, so hold on for better answers.

Old 08-24-09, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grain direction won't be an issue with the laminate. Slip-tongues will work, but you will need to mill the end of each board that meets at that joint....you can't just join the end tongues of the boards running in the new direction into the same groove, because there is no way to stagger the boards. All the boards in pergo are the same length and need to be staggered at the joints, which means you have to cut off the boards to different lengths, route a new groove in the end of each one, then join the 2 directions with slip tongue.

Old 08-24-09, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Right answer, wrong post. Deleted.