laminate over linoleum

Old 08-23-09, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laminate over linoleum

Kitchen/dining room has linoleum in kitchen with transition to carpet in dining room. Bought laminate to replace all of area. This is an earth home, concrete floor. Do I need to scrape up the linoleumor can i go over it. But wont there be a noticeable change in laminate foor height where the linoleum starts? thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-09, 05:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If the linoleum is in good shape, you can install the proper padding and laminate directly over it. You can always layer the formerly carpeted area with roofing felt (2 layers) to soften the transition from the linoleum to the bare floor, but if the area of linoleum is less than the carpeted area, I would scrape up the linoleum and be done with it.

Old 08-24-09, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks chandler. The area of linoleum is smaller (10'x25') but Im worried it will be a nightmare to scrape glued linoleum off concrete, but i've never done it.

Old 08-24-09, 06:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Oh, make no mistake, you will lose sleep, but you will sleep better knowing you did a good job. Once the tile is up and you have scraped as much of the ridges off as you can, you can use a belt sander to gain a more acceptable stratum to install your padding and laminate. Now that you have "fessed" up to "concrete", any transition you make will be a bear to install, since you have nothing to nail it to.