Help! Transitions for wide openings

Old 08-24-09, 06:23 AM
Help! Transitions for wide openings

Hello everyone. I am in need of some help. I have been searching the internet looking for floor transitions that are for wide openings. The longest piece that I have found is 7.5ft. Does anyone know of a place that sells longs pieces. The opening that I am trying to fix is 20', and I would like to have few (or none at all) joints as possible. The material could be either laminate or hardwood. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-09, 09:09 AM
I would take the 7.5' piece and run with it. Most manufacturer's offer only 6-6.5' footers. In hardwood, it's tough to get really long sections that don't have any warp to them, and there's a lot of waste in milling those transition pieces, so using your best pieces for long moldings would make the cost outrageous....hence, the shorter pieces you usually find. In laminate, you're usually talking about some sort of pressed wood/paper core, which you can extrude to any length you want, but they are tough to handle at any long length without the cheap core material fracturing. 7.5' pieces, over 20 ft, means 2 butt joints only. Miter 'em and overlap them, shouldn't be a problem.

Old 09-14-09, 11:04 AM
Transition Piece

I found my 9ft piece at a local flooring company in Oswego, IL. I don't know how close you are to them. I have their name & number, but am unsure if I'm allowed to post it here. If you send me your email address, I can give you the info.

Dave