Can engineered laminate flooring be continuous from room to room?

Old 08-28-09, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can engineered laminate flooring be continuous from room to room?

I'm getting ready to embark on a rather large laminate floor project for someone, and I have a question. This project will require installation in three bedrooms (with closets) and a long, L-shaped hallway. I've installed this type of flooring in single rooms before. However, I've never done a job involving multiple rooms. My question is whether or not I can start in one of the bedrooms and lay the floor from room-to-room continuously without the T strips in the doorways.

My guess is that these joints need to be there to allow the flooring to float independently in each room, but I wanted to verify that this is the case. The person that I am installing this for would prefer that it be continuous.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-09, 11:12 AM
I prefer t-molds for the reason you mentioned....it allows each room to float independently....sometimes, rooms in the same home have vastly different climates at different times during the day, depending on windows, direction the room faces,etc.

That being said, I would check the manufacturer's recommendations. Even if you can run it without t-molds, most manufacturers require that you leave extra expansion space if you're covering a span that exceeds a certain distance, and it sounds like your total span in each direction is going to be pretty substantial.

Old 08-28-09, 01:02 PM
Thanks for your advise. Thinking about it, it might be pretty tricky anyway trying to piece everything in if I do this as a continuous floor. It probably does make sense to section it by room.