How to remove brush from Floor Buffer?

Old 09-04-09, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove brush from Floor Buffer?

I have an old Toranado floor buffer model 150. I would like to know how to remove the brush that is currently on the machine. The brush looks to be aproximately 15"-17" and the brush hub has 3 cutouts in it that line up with the hub on the buffer. It looks to me that to install the brush you line up the cutouts on the brush hub and the buffer hub and than you turn the brush until it locks on the buffer hub. And to remove the brush, you do the reverse. But when I try to turn the brush either way it just spins the motor. What am I doing wrong? Is there a motor lock that locks the motor from spinning? The brush has been on for many years. Any help appreciated. thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-09, 06:22 PM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Usually the motor turns clockwise and locks onto the brush, so turning the brush counter clockwise should disengage it. If it has been on for awhile it may as you suspect be simply glued in place. Have you googled the make and model to see if anything comes up.

I rent them occasionally and buy my pads from the rental place, so if you make friends with one in your area, I'm sure they know how.

Bud

Old 09-04-09, 06:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Imagine you are a human impact wrench and try giving it a very fast twist. The idea is to turn the brush with enough speed and force it turns before the shaft does. And remember WD-40 is your friend.

Old 09-04-09, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i have used the tornado before and i own a extream machine and these buffers spin counter clock wise when in use. buffer head needs to be spun clock wise to be taken off . they tend to jam if it was used aggressively . try spining back and forth harder to the right [clock wise], or a hamer with block of wood , try to catch on something

Last edited by farmer wubbie; 09-04-09 at 07:55 PM. Reason: buffers spin conter clock wise ,
Old 09-05-09, 07:23 AM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Thanks for the correction farmer. I was actually trying to judge the rotation by remembering how it moves around the floor, raising or lowering the handle. Guess I got it backwards.

Bud