Removing subfloor stalpes without ruining wood flooring beneath.

Old 09-04-09, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing subfloor stalpes without ruining wood flooring beneath.

Hello,
I am ripping out the linoleum floor in the kitchen to get to the maple wood floor below to have refinished. I have run into a problem....the subfloor was held down by several heavy duty staples that have a 1/8 in bridge on top, getting a tool under the staple head is very difficult. As well as the staple being a 1/2 in deep. I need something to speed up this process.
Any suggestions????

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-09, 08:22 PM
Hi bmbeau,

If the sub-floor (underlayment) has the amount of staples it should have I do not think you will want to re-finish it. You would probably have to break the staples off and countersink the remainder, then putty the holes. If only a few staples it would be ok. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Bill

Old 09-05-09, 08:22 AM
Thanks Bill,
We'd like to refinish it since the entire first floor has wood flooring. Another thing is that there is a black substance, probably old glue, on the wood. Its not tough to rub off. Would a floor sander be able to remove it?

Old 09-05-09, 09:43 AM
sanding old glue even if its not taky will start to gum up on the on the sanding disk ,because of the heat from friction. you will need glue removel head on buffer , but that will severe damage to wood floor!