Face nailing with 18 gauge brad nail gun?

Old 09-23-09, 03:08 PM
Face nailing with 18 gauge brad nail gun?

I'm installing a prefinished Red Oak solid wood floor and am just wondering if 18 ga. 2 in. nails will be strong enough to hold the outer rows were I can't get at them with the floor nailer?

I have a pneumatic stapler for the main body of the floor and have been able to borrow my dad's 18 ga finish nailer for face nailing the outside rows. My concern now is will the 18 ga. nails be strong enough or to I need to break down and get a 16 or 15 ga nailer for face nailing those last few rows??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

XHF77

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-09, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
18 gauge is more of a brad nailer as I understand...I think thats too small. Beg, borrow, buy, or rent a 15/16 ga nailer.

Old 09-23-09, 06:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Vote #2 on the 15-16 gauge finish nailer with 2" nails. Hard wood will deter proper penetration of the 18 gauge brads and you will have a bunch of bent nails to pull.

Old 09-24-09, 09:48 AM
I'm not having any problem with the 18 ga nails penetrating the wood, I'm just wondering if 18 ga will be strong enough to secure the floor boards. I have put in one edge row but am trying to decide whether to get the 16 ga nailer and add a few 16 ga nails to what I have already put down.

Old 10-25-09, 09:20 PM
I've just completed 2900 feet of prefinished red oak flooring and used an 18 gauge nailer to do the close to wall work. I just put in a lot of them and the hole is small enough you have to look for them. Also, this is done close to walls where people don't generally walk. In other applications I find these nails to be very strong and nearly impossible to pull without breaking.