installing hardwood in kitchen-put under cabinets?

Old 09-28-09, 03:02 PM
installing hardwood in kitchen-put under cabinets?

I doing kitchen update as part of my addition. Plan on putting mannington 3/4" engineered hardwood in kitchen. The kitchen will be completely gutted and taken down to subfloor. Then I will lay hardwood. I assumed I would put it everywhere and then put cabinets on top of it. Wife asked me why put hardwood under cabinets and I wasn't sure if you can do it that way? what is best way to do this? Lay it everywhere or have it run just slightly underneath toekick and put 3/4" plywood or osb where cabinets will be? given the price of the wood and footprint of cabinets, it would be about $350 cheaper to not use hardwood under cabinets. I can't imagine the cabinets ever being moved, but is that silly to not just put hardwoods everywhere?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-09, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've worked on a lot of new homes that used 3/4" plywood under the cabinets. What are the odds that you would relocate the cabinets and not redo the floor?

Old 09-28-09, 03:35 PM
yeh, I guess you really couldn't relocate cabinets and NOT re-do floor since the floor will likely have faded in sun-exposed areas and would be darker where the cabinets were located. If you moved cabinets, it probably wouldn't look too good if you didn't redo floor. So you are saying probably worth it to save the money and put plywood under cabinets.

thanks