Home Legend Laminate

Old 10-12-09, 12:21 PM
Unhappy Home Legend Laminate

Last June my husband and I bought Home Legend Piano Finished laminate flooring over the Pergo I had originally chosen. The flooring is beautiful and looks more like real wood than anything I saw in the Pergo line. It also has 50 yr. warranty.

However, within a few weeks I began seeing what looks like the protective coating begin to peel, almost like after a sunburn when the skin starts flaking. I didn't realize what it was at first because unless you see it in a certain light, it is very hard to see. What I saw instead looked like a dull, smudged area that no matter of rubbing and cleaning got rid of. I tried everything till I was ready to tear my hair out. Finally, I decided the protecive coating, or whatever it is...Home Legend uses melamine...was wearing off and I filed a claim through Home Depot. The manufacturer sent out a floor inspector who concluded that I was cleaning it too much and it had caused a residue build up and recommended dry mopping as a way to get rid of the residue. I don't know how he came to the conclusion I was cleaning it too much, and I was using a quality laminate cleaner (Bona) about once a week while dry dusting once, sometimes twice a day and how can dry dusting cause a build-up?

Any way, the problem has become worse and I really am my wits end. The only option is to cover it with a big area rug, which is really ashamed because it was beautiful for about two weeks. So much for their 50 year warranty.

Has any one else had this experience with Home Legend? Or any other laminate flooring and were you able to find a solution?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-09, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Use the advanced search function and put home legend in the keywords..you'll find plenty of info about Home Legend...most of it bad...

Old 10-12-09, 08:07 PM
Unhappy Too Late now...

I researched laminate and wood flooring for months before making my decision, and then got my head turned in the store by this stuff! I never heard of Home Legend before. Sure wish I'd gone with my first choice!

Old 12-31-10, 07:17 AM
Home Legends worked for us

I installed over 1000 sq ft of Home Legend Piano finished Pecan Natural in my basement over a year ago and I think it has held up nicely. With two dogs, a 3 yr old, and band rehearsing, it has seen it's share of traffic with no noticeable scratches, etc.

After purchasing it, I found this forum and read all of the negative comments and I really thought I made the wrong decision. However, a year later, I think I can say I am very happy with it. I installed it myself with no real problems.

I just thought I'd share my experience.

-John

Old 01-01-11, 05:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can't dis Home Legend across the board. Laminates in general, IMO, are of a lesser quality than full size flooring to begin with. I have just finished installing 600 sf of Home Legend 5/8" bamboo (nail down) for a customer in two rooms (her choice of style and brand) and liked it so well I put in 300 sf in my rental cabin. Both applications have worn well and look super.

Old 01-02-11, 12:59 PM
that stuff is junk. i tested it before installing. took 3 seconds to badly ruin it.
my tarkett has been in 2 years and looks new.

Old 01-03-11, 04:48 PM
As they say, junk is in the eye of the beholder. If it works for some, it may not work for others. You didn't say how you "badly" ruined it. What did you do? How did you "test" it?

Old 01-08-11, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
As they say, junk is in the eye of the beholder. If it works for some, it may not work for others.

You didn't say how you "badly" ruined it. What did you do? How did you "test" it?
indeed.

i bought 2 boxs. assembled them on my floor, looked great. then i put a kitchen chair on it (my kitchen chairs are much like office chairs = wheels).
i then sat in it and moved around a total of about 5'. i am about 180#.

it left ruts in it deep enough to flow water = not exaggerating.

Old 01-08-11, 09:01 AM
Wow, I've not had that problem in my cabin, and the owner I installed the other job for uses hers for an office. I'll check that out since she has rolling chairs as well. I'll let you know.

Old 01-08-11, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Wow, I've not had that problem in my cabin, and the owner I installed the other job for uses hers for an office. I'll check that out since she has rolling chairs as well. I'll let you know.
i guess there are different qualities of that brand. as if, if there were an issue, you WOULD know about it quickly.

oh, i just remembered. a neighbor of mine put in HL about 2 years ago.. he had nothing but complaints such as mine. my gosh, his has been in for a while. with 2 lil kids, i can only imagine what it looks like now. i will have to ask him about it. he did his whole place with it :wow:

Old 11-20-11, 09:29 AM
I chose HL after doing a scratch (ran nail over surface of several types floor sample) and water - (left a piec of HL in a bucket of water for several hours). It outperformed everything.....HOWEVER after 6 months the short ends started to "bubble" as though the top coat is gone and the grain of bamboo starting to lift. HD guy said it was NOT due to installation, I have never wet mopped it (only damp paper towels when needed). To dogs cant scratch it the furniture doesnt touch it - but the floor is failing and since I did entire first floor - a HL rep will likely come out to check the material. I'll let you know what th e outcome is... Now I'll have to start the search for a floor all over again