Can you put satin polyurethane on semi gloss polyurethane?

Old 10-14-09, 06:05 AM
Can you put satin polyurethane on semi gloss polyurethane?

The guy my sister hired to put in her floors has done a real bad job so I am going to help her get them corrected.
He used the Minwax fast dry polyurethane semi gloss. It is very shiny. He left lots of overlapping brush marks, bubbles and this is gross...leg hairs in his application of the polyurethane. This was his second attempt after having to sand up his previous coats of polyurethane do to trash and hair in it. I have never used polyurethane before. I used..I think something like Boma on my own floors that just required one coat.
I am planning on trying to sand out these flaws by sanding the entire floor with a 220 grit hand orbital sander.

Can I use a Satin polyurethane next? The Semi is too shiny and shows too many flaws. Also I am going to use lambs wool on a pole.
Does anyone have tips on how not to leave overlapping marks?
Also should I thin the polyurethane?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-09, 07:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes you can use satin over semi-gloss or even gloss as long as you lightly sand first [don't forget to remove the sanding dust]

While it's best not to thin the poly, sometimes it's necessary in order to keep the poly flowing well. Lap marks are caused by letting the poly somewhat dry before mating it with the next section. It's best to always keep a wet edge!

Is this just 1 room? the whole house? how much wood are you refinishing?

Old 10-14-09, 09:47 AM
I'm having to do a small hall, foyer, den and kitchen. I think it is about 600 sqft. There are some long stretches to do in the den. I think the guy got tired by the time he reached the kitchen which was the last area. There were alot of overlapping marks in this room.
Thanks for the advice. I think that the Semi Gloss is a bit to shiny for my taste so I would like to go with the Satin from now on.

Old 10-14-09, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The laps marks should be easier to avoid, now that there is more finish on the floors. It's helpful to go all the way across the room running with the length of the boards. If you had to stop, if the board is completely covered, there won't be as noticable a lap mark since you have stopped at the edge of the wood. Kind of the same principle as you would do if you were staining wood siding.

Old 01-06-13, 07:41 PM
We have also had a really bad floor sanding/ stain job. Trying to take floor sander legally but in the meantime we were hoping to put a gloss finish over his 'terrible finished job' . Can u put a gloss finish directly on finished floorboards ? Currently is Matt and polish in various areas - none even - but hoping a gloss finish will tie us over in the meantime till debacle sorted out. Any suggestions or advice welcome.

Old 01-07-13, 05:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Cherie!

There shouldn't be any issues with changing the sheen on the floor BUT you must sand the floor first! It doesn't need to be a heavy duty sanding. The existing finish needs to be scuffed up enough for the next coat of poly to adhere to the previous coat. 180-220 grit sandpaper should work fine.

Gloss may highlight any defects in the flooring, another coat of satin might look better. Semi-gloss is another option.

Currently is Matt and polish in various areas
If the 'polish' is a wax - it needs to be removed before any poly can be applied.