Underlayment for Floating Cork Planks

Old 10-14-09, 02:26 PM
Underlayment for Floating Cork Planks

Hi. I'd like to hear from some folks with experience installing floating cork plank flooring. I know that it is not required, but does installing a foam underlayment improve the quality and feel of installed cork plank flooring on a concrete slab base? I have put down one room with a vapor barrier, but no foam. The feel is a little "harder" than another room where I used marmoleum click planks with a 3 in 1 product.

Anybody have any opinions or comments?

Thanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-09, 06:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Matt, I'd go with whatever the manufacturer suggests. If the flooring has no attached padding, I believe you will find they require the foam underlayment.

Old 10-15-09, 08:02 PM
The planks have a cork underlayment layer attached. The manufacturer does not require any additional underlayment. I don't want to be cheap and not put additional foam underneath if it will quiet the floor down, even a little. The cork I have already put down sounds a little "hollow." I didn't put foam in that room.

Old 10-16-09, 03:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have seen where additional foam has been installed under an already padded floor, and they feel like walking in one of those air tunnels for kids. Really squishy. I believe I'd go for "hollow" sound than a squishy feel.