mobile home and veneer wood flooring install

Old 10-15-09, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question mobile home and veneer wood flooring install

I'm remodeling and have already purchased the flooring....I'm told I need some barrier between the subfloor and the wood... wouldnt the original linoleum floor be considered a vapor barrier? if thats what that stuffs for.
Also, I have a couple rotten spots in the floor... mainly at both entrances... I've cut out and replaced the plywood in the rear entrance, but the 3/4 ply I used is actually slightly smaller than the original. Ive heard years ago that there is a self leveling thinset of sorts that I can use to build it up flush with the original.... what is that stuff called and how much does it cost? (ball park)

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-09, 11:55 AM
First question is, how are you installing the floor? Floating? Pick up a portland cement based leveler at lowes or hd. Don't need anything fancy. If you're stapling/nailing down, use some asphalt saturated felt paper in layers to build up the thickness.

The linoleum should act as a vapor barrier, but you've got some spots that you've repaired, so if you're floating and you need a foam underlay anyway, spend the extra .15 s/f and pick up one with a vapor barrier attached.

Old 10-15-09, 12:43 PM
hey thanks.... I'm floating it btw... so what does the foam underlay do exactly? is it for squeeky floors? or am I way off base

Old 10-16-09, 11:03 AM
The foam underlayment gets rid of the "clicking" or "ticking" you would hear when you walk. A floating floor always has some movement no matter how flat the subfloor, and without pad, the wood would strike the subfloor everytime you step. So, the pad absorbs the movement.