5" brazillian cherry plank direction ??

Old 10-27-09, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
5" brazillian cherry plank direction ??

I am installing 3/4" x 5" brazillian cherry in a large bedroom with a sitting area. The floor joist in the bedroom run one direction and the floor joist in the sitting area run a different. The sitting area has a 8' opening and is 12 x 10. The flooring will start on the opposite side of the sitting room. When I reach the sitting room I am fine with changing direction of the planks to follow opposite the flooring joist. However my question is, Where the direction change occurs, should I insert the tongue in the grove and butt the boards up or should I leave a 3/4" gap (ending the floor there) and use a T type transition piece. My concern is as the floor expands and contracts that the change in direction may cause the boards to cup? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-09, 09:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! when changing directions as you suggest, you will just insert the tongue into the groove (or opposite) as you pass the opening. End the flooring parallel to the opening at the stop molding (if any, or if a door is involved). If it is just a cased opening it looks best to split the opening with each direction. If you acclimate your flooring to the house, as is required, you won't have any problem with expansion nor contraction to a great degree.

Old 10-27-09, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice...that was my thought but I wasn't sure if the expansion would be more with the wider planks and the change in directions making the wider planks buckle at the change in direction point. It is just a cased opening and the change in direction will be in the opening. Thanks again!