water damage to wood floors, what next?

Old 10-31-09, 03:27 PM
water damage to wood floors, what next?

1 month ago, I was one of the people in Georgia affected by flooding. Some water came in through 2 exteriors walls into my townhouse. Maybe 100 square feet affected? Water only about 1/2" high. Able to mop it all up with towels. Within 3 days, I had a commercial-size dehumidifier and 3 large air movers in my home. Wet insulation and drywall replaced. My floors are pre-finished wood. Floors showed some cupping at time of flood, after the dehumidifiers, wood very much back to normal-looking. Disaster clean up people took many readings with moisture meter--floors less wet after cleanup, but still wet. Had a flooring guy come in. He tells me the floors will never dry all the way, I'll have trouble with mold, etc. and that I should replace all the wood downstairs (downstairs all 1 big space) because a patch job wouldn't work. Approx $5000 to re-do all wood floors downstairs. Another floor guy comes and tells me he can do a patch job (I see a sample, looks good to me) for about $2200. Another contractor (friend of my dad's) comes and tells me that the floors will dry eventually and I shouldn't waste my money because the floors look fine. As I don't have flood insurance, any cost will be mine. I don't want to make a short-sighted decision and have a bigger problem later (mold, etc), but I hate to spend thousands of dollars to replace a floor that really looks fine. Maybe in a few years I'd redo all the floors just as an upgrade, maybe not. I would love some unbiased professional input. Sorry this was so long. Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-09, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Double post. See answers in framing and subflooring forum.