What should I use to fill holes in sub floor?

Old 11-02-09, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What should I use to fill holes in sub floor?

Hi, I am installing 3/4" hardwood over 3/4" osb with joist on 16" centers. There are 2 areas of the osb where it looks like someone took a golf swing and took out a divit in the wood. What would be the best product I could use to fill this in. I am going to be nailing and would need somthing that I would be able to nail through.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-09, 11:39 AM
Typically, you don't want to use any type of filler or leveler when you are going to be nailing....15# aslphalt felt paper, built up in layers, will usually suffice. But in this instance, it sounds like the spots you're worried about aren't extremely large spots, but isolated damage. I would use a latex patching compound and avoid nailing into it. You only need to nail every 8", and within 2" of the ends of boards, so you should be able to rack out your boards so that you can avoid needing to nail into these two areas. And the patch will support the wood from below so that you don't get any deflection.

Last edited by tn.floorguy; 11-02-09 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-02-09, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the info, I will be able to overlap the divots with a longer board, just wasn't sure if I needed to fill the void with something more substantial then the paper.