Need advice for wood flooring project...

Old 11-16-09, 08:58 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice for wood flooring project...

Our home currently has oak strip flooring in the hallway, kitchen, and bathroom downstairs. The real stuff - nail down strips, I assume. The adjourning office and great room have carpet, as do the stairs and whole second floor.

I'd like to replace the downstairs carpet with the same type of oak flooring, as well as the stairs and upstairs hallway (not sure about the bedrooms yet).

1) How difficult is it to blend the current floor with a new floor? Would I have to refinish all of the flooring? The current oak is in great condition, and doesn't need any refinishing as it is now.

2) Can I install wood on the stairs myself?

3) How long would it take to install this type of flooring (lets say time per 8 ft x 8 ft room - to make things simple)?

4) Most important question: Is this a DIY project? I've installed laminate and ceramic tile flooring, but never hardwood. I've also never refinished a hardwood floor. What is the typical savings? Should I do part of the work and let a pro do other parts (like the stairs)?

Thanks for your advice!

Old 11-18-09, 07:02 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It all depends on your time and budget. Is this something a DYIer can do sure, but I think you're asking a lot from yourself for a first time effort.

Have you contacted any local contractors to get any estimates of what the project would cost?

My thoughts on your questions:
1 - I think it depends on what the transistions are from room to room (doorway, wide opening, etc ..) and whether or not the flooring will run the same direction or perpendicular (depending on the floor joists). I would refinish ALL the floors while you're at it, but I you may be able to get away with blending old with new, again depending on the transitions from room to room.
2 - Sure you can, but do you want to? Are there balusters to deal with?
3 - Don't know
4 - I think I covered that above. Another thought here is that if budget becomes an issue, do the downstairs now and the steps and upstairs at a later date.

Old 11-18-09, 10:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Typically you don't install the flooring on the stairs, instead you will install oak treads [wide boards with a bullnose] You may also need to install new risers. Since the balusters are usuallys connected to the treads - that's another consideration.

I'd suggest hiring a pro to do the sanding. It takes a bit of skill to use a drum sander correctly. If you do diy the sanding - use a floor buffer with a sanding pad! It may not do as good of a job but it's a lot more diy friendly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: