T-Mold Problem

Old 11-05-09, 11:44 AM
T-Mold Problem

I need to install a T-mold between a laminate floor and a tile floor, but, under the joint where the T-mold goes there is only foam board insulation, so there is nothing to attach the metal track to. (It's a joint between two slabs where a new room was recently added.) It seems to me that the simple solution is to glue the T-mold instead of using the metal track, but I'm not sure what adhesive to use. Will liquid nails adhere to the foam bd, or how about concrete crack filler, silicone adhesive, or tile adhesive?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-09, 02:11 PM
Interesting One!

Also sounds like an expansion joint for the two slabs. I have a feeling not much will stick to it, but I'm not there to see the actual composition of the material. From where I sit I think I'd chisel part of it out and glue in a piece of wood, let it cure for a day then attach a track.

Old 11-05-09, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I read the post earlier, but was reluctant to have you pull the foam. It may be your only recourse to see what is below it, however. I agree with my neighbor, Hardwood Guy, to cut a layer out and glue a wood strip in. I don't like the premade transition strips anyway, and make my own, but it seems your situation can be remedied with the strip.

Old 11-06-09, 05:23 AM
Use a good construction adhesive that will bond to masonry, wood, etc. Something like PL Urethane. Run a bead under the wing of the T that will butt to the tile.....you can glue it directly to the tile, which will hold the t-mold in place while still allowing the laminate to float under the other edge. And you won't have to disturbe the foam.