Installing shoe molding against old baseboard

Old 11-08-09, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing shoe molding against old baseboard

Hello everyone,

I installed my new engineered floor a couple of weeks before. It is a wonderful caramelized maple and after waiting for my shoe molding for weeks I just got it.

The fact is this shoe molding is the same color of my new floor and I don't want to see the nail on it (even if the color is pretty dark).

I just don't really know how to install it. I have the old baseboard (I installed my new floor against the old baseboard) and I want to install my shoe molding against it. I read a lot of different ways to install it but nothing I want.

My question is : Is it possible and good to use a nail gun to install it (I have to see if the nail gun can be used with nails "without head") ?

If not can you tell me the best way to do it. I will really appreciate that.

Thank you very much

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-09, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not sure what you looked at previously..but you shoot the finish nail through the shoe into the base (not the flooring)..almost horizontal. Then you either use a wax crayon or putty to fill the holes.

Hope you left an expansion gap all around.....

Old 11-08-09, 02:14 PM
Thank you for your response. So if i understood I should just use a hammer to hit the nails, right. (Sorry but my english is not good enough but going better).
what I saw was : they make a hole in the shoe molding with a drill and after "install" the nails but it is maple and not oak so I don't think I need to make a hole first.

Do you know what size of nails I should use?

Yes I did let 3"4 when I installed my new floor as described on the box and on a lot of tutorials I saw.

Old 11-08-09, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Ok...a nail gun doesn't require predrill...for shoe you can probably use a brad nailer that takes 2" nails. The smaller one (1.25" nail max) would prob work as well. I just prefer the longer option if you only buy one gun. $125 for the larger option..prob about $75 for the smaller capacity ones.

3/4" is a lot! Are you sure shoe will cover it? Even 1/4 round wouldn't cover that when it shrinks up. Was that total or on each edge?

Old 11-08-09, 03:06 PM
I don't know what a brad nailer is but I will check a look. And I can only use a manual or electric tool.

And sorry (in France we don't use the same measurement) but I let 3/8" space between the floor and each wall not 3/4" like I said.

Thanks again !!!

Old 11-08-09, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Well..that does kinda confuse things..why does it say US if you are in France?

Yep..hand nailing would be the best option. No electric in my experience will do it.

A Paslode will..but they are costly....

Old 11-08-09, 05:07 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You can cut the head off the nail you are using and use it as a drill bit in an electric drill.

Old 11-09-09, 04:00 PM
Hi Gunguy,

I am native from France and don't live here (in the US) from a long time that explain why my English can be "bad" and that explain why sometimes when I write I can be confused with the measurement you are using here.

I will try it next week end and tell you if I met some issues installing them.

Thank you everyone for your help