Cutting pergo, how much scrap

Old 11-10-09, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting pergo, how much scrap

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but it's my first time doing this. I want to lay a bunch of pergo with minimal scrap, and I think I'm cutting it wrong.

The room I'm starting in is 10' 3' long. The planks are 4' a piece. On the first row, I've used two full boards and cut the third to 2'3".

I then use the leftover for the next row's first board. However, in doing this, I end up with my last plank on row two being a 6" piece.

Question 1: is a 6 inch piece on the end a problem, seeing as though the instructions say to leave at least 12 between seams?

Question 2: If it is, how do I get around this problem? Cut a new board for the next row to start out and toss the first row's scrap? I'd then have to cut an additional board for the second row's end piece.

Is this making sense? Hard to explain without a diagram.

If I need to live with this much scrap I guess I can, but any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-09, 01:32 PM
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Can you do two rows, one from each end and then start with one scrap and end with the other. Each scrap could be cut to 13 1/2" give or take, leaving two 8" scraps every three rows.

Bud

Old 11-10-09, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Can you do two rows, one from each end and then start with one scrap and end with the other. Each scrap could be cut to 13 1/2" give or take, leaving two 8" scraps every three rows.

Bud
Thanks, Bud. I think you gave me a good idea... But if I understand it right, I'll be left with only 6" of scrap every three rows.

1st row: 4', 4', 2'3"
2nd row: 13.5", 4', 4', 13.5"
3rd row: 2'3", 4', 4'

then repeat with 1st row pattern
none of those joints are within 12", I believe.

I don't -think- repeating the three row pattern would be a problem. Any thoughts?

Beer 4U2

Old 11-10-09, 02:57 PM
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
That would be two pieces of 6" scrap every three rows, but still not bad. You've got six inches to play with, so you could go:
3' 8", 4', 2' 7" and still have 1' 5" scrap for your 13.5" piece. Check my math, but you have room to shift them around to avoid a repeating pattern.
I think you've got it .

Bud