Interior Concrete Floors hard on the body?

Old 11-14-09, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior Concrete Floors hard on the body?

I had decided on concrete floors for our concrete home (seeing a theme here?lol) but have had some concerns. The concrete is cold issue doesn't concern me for reasons that don't relate to this conversation. Now I don't have bad knees or a bad back or anything like that. We have concrete floors where I work and I have good shoes so no issues there. But I wondered how this could be for someone with no existing issues. How is concrete any less hard than tile over concrete or cement board? I don't imagine there is enough give in even a hard wood floor to be better for the body to walk on. Carpet would be slightly better I suppose.

Plus I don't stand all day in my house, I sit, stand, sleep, etc, and I always wear house slipper or crocs as I hate being barefoot. lol

So after all of the above, is this just a few select people with bad knees making this assumption or is this a valid concern?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-09, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I've got bad knees, but would not consider it a matter in determining a type of floor. Most all floors in homes in Florida are concrete (since you can't have a basement in most areas). It has been that way all along, and shouldn't be a problem. There is always carpet, tile, throw rugs, etc. Now leaving it raw concrete may create a design problem, since it is yard dog ugly. Of course in your area, you would not have access to a tornado shelter through the floor, so you'd have to build a separate shelter.

Old 11-15-09, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I've got bad knees, but would not consider it a matter in determining a type of floor. Most all floors in homes in Florida are concrete (since you can't have a basement in most areas). It has been that way all along, and shouldn't be a problem. There is always carpet, tile, throw rugs, etc. Now leaving it raw concrete may create a design problem, since it is yard dog ugly. Of course in your area, you would not have access to a tornado shelter through the floor, so you'd have to build a separate shelter.
Thanks for the reply. I will have a basement with concrete floors as well and with my home being concrete, I'm looking into a concrete roof as well so no storm shelter needed, in theory. lol I would think that proper foot wear would be more important than the type of floor as well as how long ou are standing/working on the floor. You are right on the rugs and what not as another option. I was going to have it polished and acid stained so it won't be just raw crete. I got a good deal on speed floor so I'll be using that for the main level floors over the basement. Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-15-09, 02:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Good luck with the concrete roof. Unless it is done correctly when a storm comes by all you will have is a 12" high slab sandwich of whatever was in between (basement, main floor, roof). It will need to be commercially built and have the blessings of an engineer and your building authority.