replace squeaks and loose wood floor?

Old 11-19-09, 10:57 AM
replace squeaks and loose wood floor?

Hi

I just recently brought a old house with the wood floors that are from the old days (nails on top of the thin strip of wood) I assume is 70 years or so. There are squeaks and loose wood everywhere.

Should I take out the hardwood floor or should I just hammer plywood over the top of it. I donot know how thick the plywood is underneath the hardwood. I ask a few shops around some recommend me over the top and some recommend me take it out.

Also should I go with 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch plywood? As I plan to use laminate floor

thanks for reading my post.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-09, 01:43 PM
It would be a shame to cover up those old floors unless they are just completely unsalvageable, especially covering them with laminate. Have you considered taking the money you would spend on plywood and laminate and instead have someone repair and refinish the hardwood? Much more authentic for the age of the home and definitely better for the home value.

Old 11-19-09, 01:56 PM
I have to agree with Tennessee. It certainly would be helpful to have a couple of old floor guys come in and talk to you about repairing what is there. Maybe it can't be done, but it would be worth asking.

As for covering up all of those squeaks, they will still squeak. As for laminate, it certainly is popular, but I think that is because it is quick and easy, not because it will be around 70 years from now. I know you may not need another 70 years, but it speaks for the quality.

Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 11-19-09 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-19-09, 05:00 PM
thanks guys for the reply and suggestion.

I thought about keeping it but it would cost a lot much more then plywood and laminate. I guess I'll take it out.

Does it make a difference if I use 1/2 inch instead of 3/4 inch?

thanks again.

Last edited by buggy; 11-19-09 at 07:11 PM.