Wood Filler for Pine Floors?

Old 11-29-09, 05:16 PM
Wood Filler for Pine Floors?

Hello all. I just installed some pine planks by face nailing (don't ask). I will varnish without staining. I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to find a wood filler for the nail holes that MATCHES the light color of the pine. It seems all the fillers that are specifically labeled as being for pine are actually darker than the pine planks I installed. The upshot of this is that whatever filler I've tried so far, the contrast between the filler and the surrounding wood becomes starker when varnish is applied (I brushed some water on to simulate the effect of varnish).

I've even tried using some of the sawdust from sanding the floor and mixing it with wood glue. That also, for some strange reason, resulted in a filler that is darker than the planks in which I applied it. This is frustrating. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-09, 08:12 PM
At my old house had to make an emergency repair (movers splintered a piece of wood out after house was sold...) I mixed white glue and sawdust and it matched. Maybe the color of the wood glue is making it darker? Since white glue dried clear maybe it will match better, and if you are sealing it in anyway I would think it would be okay...just make sure it has had a long time to dry before you seal it up.

Old 11-30-09, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As a painter, I've not done a lot of floor work but I've varnished truck loads of pine trim. It's always best to apply the 1st coat of sealer/poly before using putty on the nail holes.That will give you a better idea as to what color the putty needs to be. It isn't uncommon to need to use multiple colors and intermix them to get the right color putty. If the lightest color available is too dark - add some white putty to the mix.