Swollen/Puffy Laminate Floor - Dehumidifier an Option?

Old 12-08-09, 08:08 AM
Swollen/Puffy Laminate Floor - Dehumidifier an Option?

Long story short - water seeped underneath our laminate flooring and now there is a puffy/swollen spot near where the flooring meets the kitchen. This was a "controlled spill" i.e. not a leak. The laminate flooring is over hardwood (parquet) floor. Will using a dehumidifier to dry out the subfloor help relieve this problem? I can pull up the edge of the floor (where it meets the kitchen) to allow more room for moisture to escape.

If you are interested, here is the long story, it's quite entertaing if you are not me or my wife.

It all started because I dropped a screw. We are readying our condo to put on the market. Among the many touchups was straigthening a kitchen cabinet. While attempting to do this, I dropped a hinge screw, possibly under the fridge, or possibly through a wormhole to a different dimension. Had to go to the hardware store anyway, figured I'd get a new screw there. Removed the existing cabinet door, propped it up (above our fridge so it's leaning on the cabinet).

Later that night, as I cleaned the kitchen, I moved our coffee canister, which was supporting the cabinet door, which fell forward, which knocked an unopened bottle of pinot noir onto the kitchen tile, which shattered into a million pieces.

Cleaned up the initial mess. Went to hardware store to buy oxyclean and other supplies (including a new screw!). Scrubbed the heck out the tiles the next day - drenched the grout in solution -- and they do look nice, I have to say.

Water and cleaning solution penetrated the subfloor through a gap between my kitchen and dining room. I tried to seal it/prevent it, but didn't do a good enough job.

So now there is a puffy spot. It's annoying and doesn't help us as the house goes on the market, so I am trying to fix it.

Oh, and I still haven't found the right screw to fix the cabinet door.

Thanks for listening and your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-09, 10:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How close to the edge does the laminate go? Did the installer leave any expansion space under the molding? If not, that is what is causing your "puffiness". Pull the molding and see if any space was left for expansion. Relieving the tension will allow it to lay back down. Cutting it with a rotozip type saw with wood blade may be the only way to do it.

Old 12-19-09, 12:25 PM
If you can match the hing, there will also be the screw your looking for.