Staining plywood subfloor

Old 12-10-09, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining plywood subfloor

We have what is probably a B-grade oak plywood subfloor which has been under carpet for 50-60-years. We hate the carpet and will either paint or stain then subfloor until we can afford an option we like better. The floor is fairly smooth (like I said, I think it's a B-grade) and would paint pretty well without much effort. But we think we'd like the look of stain better.
The problem is that there are paint drops and splotches from what was I assume to be the original paint job in the room. If I have to use stripper, then "I'm out" and we'll just paint over everything. But I'm contemplating doing a light sanding job as a way to clean up the paint drops. Is that nuts? Would a disc sander work reasonably well? Or does sanding off paint splotches require taking off too much surface and we'd end up ruining the face or even worse destroying the plys?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-09, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Plywood can't take a lot of sanding although some sanding is needed to even have a chance at a decent looking job. You'll probably have better luck with scraping up the paint spots than you will with sanding. You also might try proucts like 'goof off' and 'oops' - they work fairly well at removing dried latex paint.

I've never seen oak plywood used for a sub floor, are you sure that's what you have? Most construction grade plywoods don't stain well. I'd suggest cleaning up 1 piece of ply and staining it to see how it will look. Paint might be your best choice.