Question for wood flooring finish

Old 12-14-09, 01:53 PM
Question Question for wood flooring finish

I have a wooden floor in both my diningroom and kitchen.

I've put some temporary laminate on it in the past to keep it from getting scratched, but that never lasts long. The finish comes back up (peels).

So, what's the best wood hard floor finish to put on it to keep it in good condition, prevention from scratches, water spills...etc.

Thank you so much!!! and Happy Holidays!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-09, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying what kind of laminate are you putting down over the hardwood?

Generally hardwood is finished with 2-4 coats of poly. Oil base poly [or urethane] dries harder than it's water based counterpart = oil base will resist scratches/wear better. No wood finish is water proof but a good finish will be water resistant. Water should never be allowed to sit on the wood. Most times if the water is cleaned up promptly there is no damage.

Old 12-14-09, 03:42 PM
The floors are real hardwood floors with a pre-finished coating.

We've used water-based finish (poly) on them, but it never stays very long. Scratches easily and turns white in the grain.

Would Minwax Oil Scratch Resistant be better to use? If so, do we need to remove all the waterbase poly finish off of it?

Or, would sanding lightly and finishing would be fine?

Old 12-14-09, 04:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can't just apply a finish over prefinished wood. First we don't know if the water based poly is compatible with the factory finish. Even if it's compatible, the factory finish would have needed to be sanded lightly [or wiped down with a liquid deglosser - sanding is best] before a new finish or even another coat of the original finish is applied.

I'm afraid you've gotten yourself in a bit of a mess. Since the waterbased poly is peeling, it would be best to sand it all off. Hopefully you won't sand thru the factory finish and alter the stain [if any] If you just coat over the waterbased poly, the top coat is only as good as the bond the underlying coating has. The beveled edge [it is prefinished flooring?] can be hard to sand but shouldn't be as critical as the flat surface.

Solvent based finishes almost always dry to a harder film than their waterbased counterpart. In other words, an oil based poly will wear longer and be more scratch resistant than a water based poly.

Old 01-07-10, 06:29 PM
is this the right place to ask how to touch up wood floor to stain match? I stained wood floors but then went back and sanded where there were blemishes and now I can't get the stain to be as dark as the other stain on the wood?