ruined laminate flooring

Old 12-21-09, 06:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ruined laminate flooring

I spilled some fairly strong acid on laminate flooring (unknown type and brand), which left a bleached out stain on it's light oak color. Is there anything to lessen the impact-either on the floor or from my wife's cold stares??? (It doesn't look good right now. I don't know the mfr., but a home improvement store said there was no way to re-stain it to match and pobably no way to buy replacement boards to re-do since it's maybe 5 years old and the way it's put together is probably changed by now).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-09, 06:57 AM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
If the boards extend into any closets or under appliances where it is not visible, it may be possible to scavenge some boards form there. Also, if you can pull a sample or find a place to practice, try to duplicate the color. Even if you have to spill some more acid to create the same conditions, just don't let the boss see you do it.

The other thing to watch, is where the affected boards start and stop. If you are able to sand the rest of a board to apply some stain, mask it off with some metal flashing taped along the seams and ends. Boards often vary light to dark, so your repair might not match, but as long as it is similar to other boards it may fit in.

I have done some really good patching, but unfortunately, never on laminate.

Bud

Old 12-21-09, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 25 Posts
Any chance to you can post some pics of the normal color and the bleached out area. I would be interested to see how hard it would be to do.