tile to laminate transition

Old 01-01-10, 07:22 AM
tile to laminate transition

I want to install 10 mm laminate (includes attached underlay) in my dining room. The kitchen has 1/2" thick tile. So I need some way to raise the laminate 1/8". Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-10, 05:33 PM
you should not need to raise your laminate floor.They have transition strips that are made for this.I would recommend a T moulding.Remember to allow for expansion

Old 01-04-10, 01:34 PM
1/8" is not very noticeable. If you use a transition strip then this will not be a factor. On a transition where the tile and floor are level or close to level, I like to use a colored caulk to match the grout color. By using a caulk you do not have a transitional hump in the floor and the caulk joint will also allow for expansion. The joint should be more than 1/8".

I will also say that I have seen roofing paper, shingles and economical floor tiles used to raise floor heights.

Old 01-05-10, 06:18 AM
Are you calculating the thickness of the attached underlay in the total thickness? Usually, the underlay is 1/8", so you may not have a height difference at all. And, no offense Shooter, but I wouldn't recommend that method since this is obviously going to be a floating installation.....if you don't use a transition piece that laps back over the laminate, there's nothing to prevent vertical movement.

Old 01-06-10, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by tn.floorguy View Post
Are you calculating the thickness of the attached underlay in the total thickness? Usually, the underlay is 1/8", so you may not have a height difference at all. And, no offense Shooter, but I wouldn't recommend that method since this is obviously going to be a floating installation.....if you don't use a transition piece that laps back over the laminate, there's nothing to prevent vertical movement.
By vertical movement, are you talking about up and down movement of the floating floor in relation to the tile?

Old 01-07-10, 12:25 AM
Just to clarify, I am assuming that the install is going over a level floor or a floor that would be considered acceptable for a floating installation. I have used the colored caulk method for floating floors quite often when it ab butts a tile floor with great success. This was not my own technique but one I learned from a long time tile and floor guy. He uses it with great success and while I do not lay floors by trade, I have done a few of my own installs using this method, even in my own home. I have yet to ever see an issue from any of the flooring jobs that I have done in this manner.

I will say that if a floor is not solid when I lay it down and there is serious give or up and down movement when walking on the floor, I might not chose this option. But I will also say that if you attempt to force a floating floor up and down or in an expanding or contracting motion after the caulk has dried, the caulk is very forgiving, which is also why I wouldn't want to use the method in a smaller grout type of line between the tile and floated floor.

Again I am not a pro installer, but this is what I have experienced with around a dozen or so installations of floating floors to tile. That may not be a lot, but every floated floor I have done in this fashion has worked out very well with not a single issue so far. The oldest install is about 7 years old. I also like the look / transition much better, as can be seen in the photos below. But again looks are subjective and very much a matter of taste.

My own home floating floor (family room transition) 3.5 year install w/ color caulk transition.

The most recent install I did using color caulk transition and floated floor. 4 months ago.

Old 01-07-10, 04:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Shooter, did you use the foam underlayment on these floors? If so, you will, without a doubt, have a vertical movement in the flooring just by stepping on it at the transition. Except for Big Stretch and certain other elastomeric sealants, I have not seen caulk that will give that much without degrading.

Old 01-07-10, 10:33 AM
edit to add video below...........

Last edited by Shooter; 01-07-10 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 11:22 AM
Foam underlayment / barrier, yes on all of the floated laminate floors that I have done. Everything from the basic home depot offerings to the more expensive Pergo types of foam underlayment. I tend to use a sanded caulk, but have used a standard color caulk. I have yet to see any separation or degrading of the caulk joints in any of the floors that I have done. The oldest floor done in this manner being 7 years old.

Even if I had to replace or repair a grout joint it would be an extremely simple fix. So simple of a fix, I would still opt for this method instead of having a transitional lump in the floor. Just my preferences and so far all of the people I have done floors in this manner absolutely love the fact of not having the transition.

Everyone's mileage may very here I guess, as far as taste goes.

I shot a quickie on my camera. 3.5 year old floor. Thomasville floated floor up to my slate tile. Notice the caulk matches the grout very well, even the dirty, err aged look. This is the family room and kids play room. It gets the most heavy use in our home with 2 dogs also. The floor compresses slightly with the underlayment but the install and caulk joint shows zero signs of any type of degradation. Just shows dirt like the rest of the grout lines, but it matches perfectly. Every other floor that I have done in this manner has the same results.

YouTube - Floor Install 001.avi