underlayment/transitions

Old 01-14-10, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
underlayment/transitions

Hey all, im going to be installing half inch engineered uniloc mohawk floating floor on a plywood and concrete subfloor. I have a few questions regarding my install. First of all the place i bought my flooring from recommends i use the floor muffler underlay they sell for 40 dollars a roll. Do i need that for the second floor over the plywood? I know i need a sound barrier, but what about the moisture barrier portion of it? Could i get away with a cheaper sound underlay upstairs? Second question i have is, on the second floor the carpet goes under a banister. basically there is a small 1 inch overhang that the carpet goes under and is tacked down under.. With this floating floor would i just cut and lay it under the overhang or would i need some sort of transition piece?

thanks for your help..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-10, 08:02 PM
What kind of banister do you have? This could be tricky.

What I did was purchase a sort of sill for the banister. I don't know the exact name, but I have a wood bannister with about 9 spindles. It's a straight one that runs on top of the stairs. (this is what I am picturing for yours because you said the carpet is rolled under it an inch).

I tore up the floor and took down the entire banister. i replaced that section with the oak "sill" and reinstalled the bannister. I ran the new floor flush to that sill. Even if you have wrought iron (easier because you won't have to drill the new holes for each spindle) you can do something similar.

Old 01-14-10, 08:34 PM
tommorow i will be able to put a pic of my situation up, i am not sure what kind of banister i have.. Its basically a trim piece, kinda like a flat board that is about an inch above the floor level that the carpet goes under one inch. The balusters are attached to it and the rail above it of course.. Some of the homes of the same model have like a 3 foot wall instead of what i have.

I also have some starter newels at the bottom of the stair, i am not sure how to get the wood close to those and leaving the float area..

Old 01-14-10, 08:50 PM
OK, post some pics and we'll go from there.

Old 01-15-10, 02:29 PM
Ok here are the pics i promised.

and heres a pic of the newels i have to put wood up to..

Old 01-15-10, 02:44 PM
You are going to have to take up all the base molding. I would run the floor right underneath that over hang but leaving a 3/8" inch gap for expansion. If it is noticeable I would add a decorative piece of base just to hide the gaps. That would be easy as ripping a piece of base, painting it white (or whatever color you are going with) and attacking it to the banister plate.

I would also run the floor to the edge of the top step. From there you can cap it with some step angle concealing the cuts and finishing it off nicely.

As far as the newels, run the floor to the post with your cuts, again leaving a gap for expansion, and trim it off with base molding.

I have some pics of what I did with the step in the kitchen I did i'll post later tonight so you see what I mean. Hope this helps

Old 01-15-10, 03:04 PM
Thanks rig..

since i posted i was thinking..

I will do what you say upstairs.. with the banister..

what about undercutting the newels, you think that is an option? and putting flooring under...

Old 01-15-10, 05:22 PM
One more question? Do you think its better to put transition pieces between the rooms, or should i try to make the wood flow through out the whole house?

Old 01-15-10, 05:28 PM
Depending on how the newels are fastened, I wouldn't under cut them. I would just trim them. As far as transitions in to other rooms, that's more of a design question that's going to have to be your personal decision.

I personally think each room should be independent of each other and therefore have a lot of different floor coverings throughout my home.

If you really like the flooring, I see no problem laying it in every room, as long as you like it. But the transitions sold by the manufacturers along with the flooring work pretty well and make each installation seamless.

Old 01-15-10, 06:09 PM
when i said transitions i meant stopping at the doorway of each room putting a t molding and then start over in the next room with wood.. I layed marble in my bathrooms and ceramic in my kitchen/dining room.