strip flooring problem

Old 01-21-10, 06:54 PM
strip flooring problem

I'm in the procees of installing 2" wide hardwood strip flooring in a room the connects to two other rooms that already have 2" hardwood floors. I started the job at one of the adjoining rooms in order to keep the transition from room to room clean and neat looking. As I get closer to where the other room connects, though, I can tell that there's going to be a problem with the alignment of the strips where the two rooms meet. Not only are the strips slightly non-parallel (about a 1/4" difference at the end of the board), but somehow the boards in the room I'm working on aren't quite lined up with the other room's (off by about 1/4").

I was thinking about getting a wider strip, maybe 2 1/2", and tapering it to compensate for the lack of parallelism. Good or bad idea? Wood putty/filler? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-10, 04:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your flooring is running end to end, I presume as opposed to side to side? At the transition, you will have to make a transition piece from the flooring you have. It will need to be cut to compensate for the angle error, and you will need to groove both sides and use a transition strip to tie them into the existing flooring, or either face nail it in place with putty over the holes.