Nailing down bamboo flooring

Old 02-04-10, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nailing down bamboo flooring

Hello All,
I could use some guidance here. I'm about ready to purchase some "strand" bamboo flooring. This stuff is really hard (3000 Janka hardness rating) and I got word that standard cleat nailers would have some difficulty. So I went to my local HD and tried out their Senco SHF15 pneumatic floor nailer. Bad news. The cleat either split the tongue or it didn't drive the nail all the way through.

So I called the manufacture and they had me talk with an installer, who suggested a bostitch SX150 18G narrow crown stapler. Supposedly the light gauge staple will work. It's a small hand held stapler that has a flooring foot attached. The price is right, amazon has the gun for $225. And I figure I could sell it afterwards to recoup some of the money. But bostitch recommends it for engineered flooring 1/2" or less. This stuff is 5/8" . With all this conflicting info I'm thinking about going for the natural stuff which is much softer (but the wife doesn't like the color as well). Any thoughts or experience nailing bamboo down?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-10, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Maybe call some local rental places that carry that gun or others like it. You can then try them out and see if it will nail down the wood without splitting it. I mostly see guys (and I have used) use pneumatic staplers like this: http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond.../dp/B000F3G1A0

BTW - I could not find that model nailer on the HD site or online. Online I only found a manual nailer not a pneumatic. Pneumatic is the only way to go.