Under Floor Heating for Laminate w Pre-Attached Underlayment

Old 02-07-10, 07:59 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Under Floor Heating for Laminate w Pre-Attached Underlayment

Well this is my first post, and I appreciate any advise. For background, the project I am working on is a 4 season sun room attached to the first floor of our home. We are planning to put laminate in the sun room, and we are also planning to bring the laminate out to most of the first floor because we like it so much. The laminate will be a floating floor, with approximately 160 sq ft in the sun room and approximately 550 sq ft in the other portions of the first floor. The laminate has a pre-attached foam underlayment.

Additionally, we have decided to go with an electric under floor heating option for the sun room since we live in Iowa and it gets quite cold in the winter. We have not selected a specific brand of under floor heating, nor have we selected whether to go with the mat or cable options available. My question is whether the laminate will work with the under floor heating we are planning to install since there is a pre-attached foam pad.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-08-10, 12:03 PM
T
Not to be evasive or uninformative, but that would be a question that is better asked directly of the laminate manufacturer. Most manufacturers will have different recommendations, not only just yes/no, but if yes, what the system requirements are (max surface temp, spacing, underlay, etc.). This is one instance where I would strongly recommend you hear the answer direct from the horse's mouth, and cover your *ss in the event of any future warranty claims.

Old 02-21-10, 05:21 PM
E
When I checked a few weeks back many manufactures do allow you to install heat mats under your laminate. But they have different warranty rules on the heat adjustment used with your mat.

For example, one company would only allow you to adjust the temp of your mat by only 10 degrees up or down in a 12 hour period.

But as the last reply said, check with the company you are thinking of buying the floor from first.

A company called SunTouch make a decent electric floor heating system.

Old 03-05-10, 08:49 AM
Along with checking with the flooring manufacturer, I would suggest calling the pros from SunTouch radiant floor heat 1-888-432-8932 to get their recommendation on what product will work best. I've worked with them for over 10 years and can always rely on their expertise.

Is your sunroom floating off the exterior of your home with a crawl space or patio beneath it? There might be a couple of other options if this is the case... Either way you'll love the radiant heat in this sunroom addition. It really is a cheap version of luxury that and DIY-er can install if they make sure to read the directions thoroughly and use the expert advise of an electrician when necessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: