1949 house with oak hardwood What finish?

Old 02-08-10, 02:56 AM
1949 house with oak hardwood What finish?

Hi all,
been reading and have not found the answer I am looking for,
I was wondering how to tell what kind of finish would be applied to my floors.
They are oak 2" or 2 1/2" never measured in a 1949 house in west central Virginia. Original floors.
I have heard that back in the day they might have used Tung oil to finish the floors, it does not look like the normal poly finish I see when floors are done today. I was wondering cause the floors that are original finish I would like to spruce up as they are a little worn and I heard you can just clean them and reapply tung oil. Is this correct?
Our kitchen had linoleum and has been stripped (by me) down to the original floor that had been sanded to apply the glue, now this floor I would sand and refinish hopefully to somewhat match the others but I need to know what the original finish is.
I can post some pics later if needed
thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-10, 01:27 PM
Photos would be helpful...it's hard to say for sure. They could be some type of a tung oil, they could be old waxed floors, they could be varnished.

Either way, your probably going to have a hard time finishing the new to match the old....have you considered sanding all of them and doing a urethane finish? For one, you would know they would all match. Secondly, with part of the area being in the kitchen, an oil or wax finish can be a bear to maintain with spills, grease, water, etc.

Old 02-08-10, 02:20 PM
Yeah the plan was to sand all of them and refinish, some of the boards have some gaps and some have raised a little but we were not worried about perfection as the house is kinda old (charm as the wife says). It is just a big job. The kitchen will definitely be done, we kinda like the color and the finish even though it is old. We have seen some floors redone with poly and they seem to always look THICK. I suppose people have just put to much finish. I am just wondering if there is any way to tell/test the finish to know what it is? I guess the best way is to go all out and redo all of them.
well here are some pics maybe they will help
now that I look at the pics I think I have made my decision, they are worn!!! Looking normally at them I do not see all the wear, but in these pics you definitely can.

the top pic is where there is less wear and the middle and last are traffic areas

Last edited by 5dollaralien; 02-08-10 at 02:22 PM. Reason: want to add description