Prep wood floor after removing carpet tacks

Old 02-10-10, 05:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Prep wood floor after removing carpet tacks

I apologize if this question has been asked a thousand times.

I'm removing the carpet to refinish the hardwood floor that is underneath. After removing the tack strips, I have many nail holes around the perimeter of the room. I will be sanding the floor down to the bare wood and then re-staining the floor.

What is the best method for prepping all the nail holes? Do I fill the nail holes with wood filler and then sand the floor? Someone told me the nail holes would still show because the stain will not adhere to the wood filler the same as the rest of the floor. Someone else said to do nothing. Their opinion is that during the staining and polyurethane steps, the nail holes will fill up with each liquid and dry to a hard coat. Plus, being around the perimeter of the room, most of the holes will be covered with furniture.

What's the proper way to prep the hardwood floor after removing the carpet tack strips? Thanks for you help.

Jeff

Old 02-11-10, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Generally after the initial sanding, before sanding again but with a finer grit sandpaper, all the nail holes and cracks are filled with a wood filler. Not just any wood filler but one that's made for oak floors. It goes on like spackling - sort of Then it all gets sanded off except for what's left in the hole/crack. it stains well.

Often if the holes aren't filled, they will stain a little darker because there is more area to absorb the stain although it may not be a problem with a real light stain.

I'm a painter, not a floor guy and I don't remember the name of the filler used but most any hardwood store that sells finishing supplies will have it.

Old 02-11-10, 05:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. I will follow your suggestion and wood fill the nail holes.

Thanks,

Jeff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: