Hardwood Floor in Basement

Old 02-11-10, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Floor in Basement

Hello,

My Husband and I want to finish our below grade basement. It has a solid concrete floor that we need to level (the plan is to use quicklevel). I would love to have a hardwood floor of some sort (it could be laminate if that is better in these conditions) but this basement has condinsation in the summer and a lot of humidity. We could run a dehumidifier but they make the room warm and my Husband hates the heat...are there any wood floor options that would not mold / warp in a below grade basement with moisture issues (especially in the summer)? I apologize if this is a stupid question but I would love to have these floors if I can. Otherwise, tile it is. Thanks, in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-10, 04:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Giving the conditions you honestly gave, your money would be better spent on either tile or having the floor cut and stained in a slate type effect. The wood, even laminate, would continue its contraction and expansion with the changes in humidity, and the dehumidifier would have to run 24-7 to keep it stable. Think about if the dehumidifier broke while you were on vacation. What you would come back to wouldn't be nice.
IMO, a good stable flooring that is impervious to moisture is the best bet for an underground installation.
And, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Sorry for the negative opinion, though, as I know you want the floors.

Old 02-12-10, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Try doing a search for 'ceramic tiles that look like wood' I saw a show on HGTV a while back and they used a ceramic tile in the basement that looked like wood. That might be the best of both worlds

Old 02-12-10, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I agree - given the information you provided, I think wood is not the way to go

I'm a ceramic guy myself, so that's what I would lean toward

Old 02-14-10, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for your replies! Maybe it isn't what I wanted to hear but honest advice is better than bad advice, anytime. What is is and it sounds like ceramic is the way to go. The tile that looks like wood might be a great idea. I looked into it a bit and it looks pricey but you can't have everything . This might be a great option if my Hubby is interested in spending the extra money for the look. Thanks, again .