Gaps in Floorboards

Old 02-29-00, 01:22 AM
Visiting Guest
I am sanding,staining and varnishing a very old wooden floor. There are 1/2 inch gaps between the boards which I have filled with wooden strips. I have also been told to use sawdust mixed with glue to fill in smaller gaps. Does anyone have any comments/recommended reading on how to do all this properly ??

Old 02-29-00, 05:46 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Dan:

You might be better off asking this question in the wood working section.

If you're going to use the sawdust and glue method, you'll have to make sure the sawdust is the same material as the floor. Unfortunately, when you vanish the floor, the sawdust filler will probably end up being a different colour from the rest of the floor. The glue won't accept the varnish.

Why not just sand the floor flat and live with the gaps? This will add to the charm of the room.

Ted

------------------
Carpenter's rule:- Cut to fit - Beat into place :-)

Old 02-29-00, 01:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have old wooden foors as well and I'm curious to know which varnish you used.I used varathane Elite and it offers no resistance to either water or my dog. I share your opinion about the gaps, they have no charm to me and the're always filled with dust.

Old 03-01-00, 04:53 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keep in mind that when summer gets here with its high humidity levels, those boards will expand. If your 'filler strips' are too tight something has to give, ie) the floor will buckle somewhere.

Didin - if you really hate those gaps, I suggest installing a laminate flooring over them. I don't approve of covering wood flooring, but its not my house.

Old 03-01-00, 12:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BobF:
Keep in mind that when summer gets here with its high humidity levels, those boards will expand. If your 'filler strips' are too tight something has to give, ie) the floor will buckle somewhere.

Didin - if you really hate those gaps, I suggest installing a laminate flooring over them. I don't approve of covering wood flooring, but its not my house.
<HR>

BobF-I think you got me wrong. My wooden floor are OLD, my house was build in 1885, the gaps are BIG. Since I stained my foor dark oak, everything (including my dog's leftovers) lighter than this color shows in the gap, and believe me, this add no charm. As you do not know neither my floor or my lifestyle, I consider that your sarcastic suggestion shows little jugement, and believe me, this gives you no charm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: