Difficulty fitting boards together during engineered floor install

Old 02-15-10, 10:51 AM
Difficulty fitting boards together during engineered floor install

I am about 180 sq ft into a 1000 sq ft project, and I am having a very hard time fitting boards together. The product I am using is Schon 5/16" engineered, Lumber Liquidators: 5/16" x 4" Toasted Cinnamon Birch Engineered. I would say that 80% of the boards (by count) are full 48".

I am using 1 1/4" inch 18ga staples fired from a Bostich SX150-BHR, using around 80 PSI. The stapler is set in the default position for 5/16" Bruce engineered floors, and the staples are being driven through the intersection of the tounge and board edge (the right spot according to the installation documentation). The pressure is set just right (any less and the staples don't go all the way in).

My problem is that the boards are barely fitting together. It takes plenty of muscle to hitting the tapping block to get the boards to seat, and it is taking a very long time - like 2 to 5 minutes per board to get it seated correctly in order to staple. One of the issues I have noticed is that the staples seem to displace / crush the tongue. If you were looking at the board on edge, you would see that the tongue has been driven down by the staple, creating a belly. Sometimes it is necessary to run the edge of a pinch bar under the tongue to drive the belly up a bit.

This is exceptionally time consuming. I'd appreciate any ideas or comments on the topic

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-10, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What type edge does the flooring have. Is it a direct glue t&g or a click lock type edge? Are your staples countersinking? If not, increase your outlet pressure to 90 psi. The staples must be below the grain of the wood in order for the next piece to slip over the tongue.

Old 02-16-10, 08:52 AM
Floor is T&G, with a square tounge (not rounded)
Staples are countersinking.
Fit issues continue

Old 02-16-10, 04:03 PM
This might seem like a stupid response, but if so then file it.
Are you using hard blows or frequent taps?
And is the stapler countersinking too much?
Can you adjust the countersink on the stapler itself to countersink a bit less to avoid the distortion?

Last edited by mickblock; 02-16-10 at 04:29 PM. Reason: adjustment clarification