Swiftlock flooring issues...Need some Tips...

Old 02-16-10, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Swiftlock flooring issues...Need some Tips...

Ok, so first time ever putting a floor down in my life and due to this expierence it will be my last. For some reason these boards are not going together easily at all... Almost every board is being extremely difficult to put together. Either there is a gap or it doesn't want to lock into each other.

Are they any tips for installing this type of product?

It seems that they lock into together on the long side no problem but on the short side they dont want to lock. There is this black plastic piece on the short side that seems to get in the way, is that supposed to be there?

TIA,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-10, 01:56 PM
???

Originally Posted by JoeNational View Post
Ok, so first time ever putting a floor down in my life and due to this expierence it will be my last. For some reason these boards are not going together easily at all... Almost every board is being extremely difficult to put together. Either there is a gap or it doesn't want to lock into each other.

Are they any tips for installing this type of product?

It seems that they lock into together on the long side no problem but on the short side they dont want to lock. There is this black plastic piece on the short side that seems to get in the way, is that supposed to be there?

TIA,
Well.... this stuff is made to put together pretty easy so the average DIY can do it. Not sure what you mean about a "black plastic piece" on the short end?? Make sure you are installing the planks together according to mfg. direction. Also, if you didnt get the first few planks put together exactly right, it only gets worse as you go along. Everyone runs into a few stubborn pieces but not like the problems you seem to be having.

Old 02-16-10, 02:54 PM
Well I did get some tips from the maker of this product and the black piece I was referencing is correct, it is actually the locking mechanism. I have read a lot of issues with this type of floor and it is one of the harder ones to work with. The tapping block is to not be used at all for installation as it can ruin the board. Only use it to move the board left to right. When locking the side together raise the board with your hand underneath and push down towards the edge to lock it in.

Other than that no other real tips outside of the common sense ones (level floor, previous rows must be correct, etc...)

Dont know if this will help or not but good luck to anybody else!