Hardwood floor installation

Old 04-16-00, 10:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

1)How important is it to lay planks perpendicular to the joists, especially in a newer home with 1 1/4" plywood subfloor?
Our hallway goes in the same direction as our joists, thus laying the boards across it, rather than down it probably won't look right... What do you think?

2) We are laying the flooring in the kitchen and living room and there is a small "doorway" between the rooms. Should we use a T-molding to partition the two rooms or TRY to line up the planks in the next room in the doorway? (i.e. leave the planks staggered at the ends, work into the next room and toward the closest wall first...)

Thanks! tracy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-00, 10:46 AM
Visiting Guest
It is most important to have sub-floor planks or your plywood running perpendicular to the joists. I don't believe that it will matter if you want to run your hall boards lengthwise. I could be wrong.

As far as the adjoning rooms. Have you thought about starting the seam at the door and then going opposite directions with the flooring? It would look a lot better than having a "T" border in your doorway.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net