How to inspect floor BEFORE install.

Old 02-20-10, 05:42 PM
How to inspect floor BEFORE install.

Purchased some 3/4" x 2 1/4" prefinished red oak Bellawood from a store with the initials, LL. Now, like an idiot, I am finding thousand of angry Bellawood and LL customers, AFTER I made the purchase. When/If (shipping nightmare) the floor arrives at the local store, I want to inspect every box before I load it in my truck while a customer service rep is present. What should I bring, a dial caliper, straight edge? Is there a minimum of long peices per 20 sq/ft box that is expected? How do I correctly check milling, tongue and groove etc? LL seems to have a very negative customer service reputation and have left many high and dry. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by northshorematt; 02-20-10 at 05:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-10, 10:24 AM
Matt, not sure how realistic it will be to check every box at the store before taking it home. The only thing that can really be done at that stage is to inspect it for shipping damage, open a box or 2 to check for correct species/color and any glaring defects, maybe lay out a few boards and engage them to check for obvious mismilling (overwood, out of square ends, uneven beveling, etc.). Now, exact milling specifications and tolerances, average board length, etc, are largely proprietary to the individual manufacturer, so they would have to provide you that information directly.

The real inspection is going to come as the installation proceeds. The key is, most manufacturer's offer a pre-installation guarantee....if you notice any manufacturing deficiencies, or something that you perceive to be a problem, then stop the job immediately and notify the retailer for inspection and replacement material. If you continue to lay a floor that you think has a problem and don't report it until the installation is complete, you own it!