Screen and Recoat Mineral Spirits White Cloud

Old 05-18-14, 06:39 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Screen and Recoat Mineral Spirits White Cloud

I've sanded and applied 2 coats of Minwax super fast drying semi gloss to my oak hardwood floor. I did a 220 grit screen of the area and used a rag soaked in mineral spirits to clean up the floor and remove the dust. There are a couple spots where I soaked the rag a bit too much and created white cloudy spots on the floor. Is there anything I can do about this or will the final coat of poly eliminate the issue?

Old 05-18-14, 09:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How long ago did you wipe it down? has the mineral spirits had enough time to evaporate?
When using thinner to wipe down dust all you need is for the rag to be damp with thinner, no need for it to be soaking wet.

The odds are it will be ok to apply your next coat of poly but it wouldn't hurt to rewipe those areas with a rag damp with thinner.

Old 05-18-14, 12:35 PM
L
Thank you marksr,

It has had time to dry and I wiped it down a bit with the same towel from yesterday after rising it with water and wringing it out thoroughly. The cloudiness seems to have gone down in those areas.

Old 05-18-14, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Did the cloudiness come from the thinner or the water? Sounds like what water under the finish would look like.

Old 05-19-14, 05:24 AM
L
It was from the thinner and after applying the final coat of poly it is no longer visible. I'm extremely satisfied with the results. Here is my final product:

imgur: the simple image sharer

Thank you for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: