new hardwood floors on 32 year old subfloor

Old 06-15-00, 08:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

Hello!
My husband and I are planning on installing prefinished hardwood floors (about 700 square feet) in the entry, living and dining room. It's a two story house (considered a daylight basement), and the hardwoods will go on the second story. We've completely remodeled this old house, left the most occupied rooms for last. We haven't torn up the carpet yet but a concern is that we may just have warped subfloors. We'd really like to stay away from carpet, our 2 year old has asthma and the carpet is a dust magnet. I'm really hoping you have some good news for us!!
Sincerely,
Annette Sternberg
alcsternberg@hotmail.com

Old 06-17-00, 05:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have good news. Get that carpet out of your house. especially for your sons sake. Molds and mildews, dust all live there. very bad for asthma. I am a severe asthmatic, and I know. Tear it out, and put in a laminate. I would recommend Purgo, but there are other brands also. You will love it. Good Luck.

Old 06-17-00, 10:00 PM
Visiting Guest
"Jack the Contractor" Thank you for your reply!..Your recommendation was for laminate(we have the asthmatic 2 year old) however! our dream is for the real thing...hardwoods. Can we lay them on a warped subfloor? Is there a 'fill' we could use if they are warped? Shims? Thanks for your input!
Annette Sternberg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: