oak floor replacement

Old 02-27-10, 07:37 AM
oak floor replacement

My 1913 bungalow's 1/2" quartersawn white oak floor is damaged beyond repair. I am planning on replacing it with new 1/4 sawn white oak (unfinished).
Some have told me that I need to rip the old out, since I want to run the new planks inthe same direction as the old.....any advice? can I just top the old?
also...(I have never done a wood floor before) do I need to put rosin paper down first?
advice for the fastening the "starter " plank?
I plan on using the same narrow (2.25" planks as before)
any advice? thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-10, 03:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Consider your doors, molding, cased openings, etc when planning on raising the floor by 3/4". Do you have the room? How about transitions to other flooring? If none of this will work, you may have to pull the old in order to maintain a reasonable height of the new floor.

Old 02-27-10, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
I would talk to a pro flooring refinisher. I find it hard to believe that they can't be sanded down and refinished.

Old 02-27-10, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by parkway
...Some have told me that I need to rip the old out
I'm definitly going to second Tolyn's advice.
A whole floor made with quartersawn oak is even worth some extra steps to salvage. I mean even if some sections do need replaced.
What kind of damage are we talkin'?

Old 02-27-10, 07:29 PM
the floor is only around 1/4" thick...and in a lot of places, the top part of the groove has broken off, leaving a long "gouge" or divot... especially in the traffic areas.
The baseboard is gone ( I will put new material in when I am done with the floor. All doors (and thresholds) are high enough to not present a problem if I don't remove..
Thanks for your input so far, guys! If I could, I'd buy ya'll a cold one!

Old 02-27-10, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
So its been sanded quite a few times already?

1/2" quartersawn white oak floor
I thought it was 1/2"?

Old 03-02-10, 08:44 PM
that was a bit of a typo...its is closer to 1/4", even though it shows no evidence of sanding....(the floor where the baseboard was is the same height as t he rest of the floor....)
The floor is not saveable- not enough material to work with

Old 03-03-10, 06:04 AM
It may not look as if not has been sanded but it sounds like it. When a floor gets sanded it wears down and that is why you have the gouge. The the groove is now exposed. I would usually say to get some salvaged flooring and repair what you have but in this case I think you need to tear the whole floor out and start new. It will be difficult to run flooring with the door casing on so plan on taking it off. If you can, leave the first piece of the old flooring in place for the time being so that you have something square to work off from. If your new flooring doesn't have a tongue and grove on the ends then you will want to cut the ends with a slight angle so that the joints don't show as much. To do this let the floor board hang over your miter saw and have the other end laying against the floor this will create the slight angle you need. Otherwise set you bevel gauge so that you don't get a square end cut.