Engineered Flooring Installation - Staples or Nails

Old 03-03-10, 08:44 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Engineered Flooring Installation - Staples or Nails

I am about to install a Thomsville 1/2" engineered floor and have two questions that I cannot find any answers. Help??

I have read the installation guide that came in the box and even called Thomasville. NO HELP AT ALL!!

1.) What length, shape and gauge of fasteners should I use so that the product does not split? The installation manual is silent on this topic other than "not placing any fasteners within 2" of edge".

Should I use "L" cleats or staples? Does it matter?

I have an OSB subfloor under the sheet vinyl. Can't tell if 5/8" or 3/4", it's either or.

2.) I am going over an existing sheet vinyl floor. It is glued down pretty good. Just a couple of areas where there is no baseboard where the vinyl is curling (i.e behind stove and dishwasher). I plan on securing before starting floor.

Do I need the 15lb felt paper, or can I go right over with the new floor planks?

Old 03-03-10, 10:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What do you have for a nailer/stapler? Are you going to rent one? I prefer using staples. You can probably get by with 1 1/2" staples, although staples or cleats probably doesn't matter. You won't need the felt since you are applying over linoleum, which is in otherwise good shape to begin with.

Old 03-03-10, 11:13 AM
A lot of the engineered flooring is supposed to be floating. Meaning you don't use any fasteners at all. Be sure that isn't the case first.

If it is supposed to be fastened down, I also like staples.

Old 03-03-10, 11:28 AM
D
Thanks for the reply.

I don't currently own the floor gun. (I have just about every other air tool but this type) So I was either going to buy or rent. I just wanted to make sure I was getting the gun with the right specs for the fasteners.

Any suggestion on maximum gauge in order not to split the wood at the tongue? (20, 18, 16, 15-1/2).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: