Squeek in Small Bath

Old 07-24-00, 11:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I bought a 1971 home last year that had a serious problem with an ugly stick. To update the bath I ripped out the chipboard and found plywood underneath. It looks like it has been wet in the past, but is dry and in fairly good condition. The old floor (with linoleum) squeaked. I found that the plywood joined right where the squeak was and one of the nails from the chipboard was rubbing. My question is what can I do (i.e. recommendations on screws, ripping out the plywood, etc.) to ensure the next floor will not squeak. I am putting in another chipboard subfloor and Cork tiles as a trial in this bath to see if I want to use it in the rest of the house.

Old 07-24-00, 08:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

There is no need to rip out the old plywood subfloor if it is solid. Just use 2.5" drywall screws on the joist edges, and 1.25" on the plywood field to stop squeaks. Buy extra Phillips bits for your drill motor, and wear a heavy glove on the drill motor hand to prevent a major blister on the inside of your thumb, if you have a whole lot floor to do. Put screws in until you can't make it squeak. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: