Which Type of Hardwood to Get?

Old 03-05-10, 01:12 PM
Which Type of Hardwood to Get?

We would like to have our carpets removed (our dog has created some stains...) and replaced with hardwood. Can anyone tell me what type would be a durable, quality wood? Also, is there a difference in terms of durability if we would get the thinner planks as opposed to the thicker ones?

Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-10, 02:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So many variables in choosing. You have a dog.....with claws. Their normal movement across regular 3/4" hardwood flooring, no matter the finish will leave scratches and indentations. If that isn't a problem, I would always opt for prefinished 3/4" tongue and groove flooring. On the other hand if (as in my house, the dogs rule), I would probably go with a laminate which will take the punishment a little better. How big a space are we talking? Multiple rooms? Same wood or different throughout? Laminate, especially the click lock type is really easy to install, whereas 3/4" will take longer, but will look immensely better than laminate.

Old 03-05-10, 06:46 PM
big or little dog? Laminates will create a whole affect, or clicking sound of the dog's nails, shoe heels, etc. All these will create the clicking sound. You can purchase an acoustic pad to place under the laminate to help this issue, instead of the standard thin pad. Nothing is scratch proof, including laminate.

Hard woods like walnut and others will be more durable, however you still have the finish, which is what scratches first and dropping items will cause dents. The retailer will have a chart that stipulates the wood's hardness. Or go on-line and search for the "Janka hardness test". Hopefully others may have input to offer. Best luck.

Old 03-06-10, 11:25 AM
I guess I didn't really think about the damage from our dog's nails/claws. My brother-in-law has a dog and their floors look good. Maybe I'm just unaware of the work needed to keep them looking good. Hmmm hardwood is so pretty, but I don't want high maintenance....

Thanks for your input . Much appreciated.