Laminate over vinyl: Staples?

Old 03-06-10, 09:18 AM
Laminate over vinyl: Staples?

Double wide home had carpet in livingroom and vinyl in dining room. Pulled carpet up but planning on leaving vinyl. Edge of vinyl has large flat staples holding the edges down....was previously under the carpet padding, there was no tranistion, the carpet was folded over to form it's own transition.

Can I leave those huge staples? They are well sunk into the vinyl. Using vapor barrier and padding.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Roman Nomad

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-10, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You will install a transition strip anyway, trim the vinyl back a little and pull the staples so you can lay the wood level, then span both the wood and lino with your transition strip. If they are below grade of the lino, you may can leave them, you just don't want anything poking above it.

Old 03-06-10, 05:18 PM
Wait....nope. The laminate will go over the vinyl. Let me try again.

Double wide manufactured home. Living room and dining room are connected with the living room on the left half and the dining room on the other half. Living room's carpet ran 3 ft into the dining rooms half of the house and then ended.

They ran the vinyl on the entire dining room side all the way to the seam of the house. Thus making a 3 ft section that had carpet over vinyl. They secured the edge of the vinyl under the carpet with the huge staples. Understand so far?

Good, now I have ripped out the carpet and will be intalling laminate thru both rooms....thus no transition strip. My plan is to lay the laminate over the vinyl. Will the staples present a problem or should they come up and just leave the end of the vinyl loose.

Before you mention it....looks like the manufacturer compensated for the vinyl in when putting the two halfs together as the vinyl is level with the subfloor from the carpet. Go figure.

Thanks for your response...

Roman Nomad

Old 03-06-10, 05:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OK, if your linoleum doesn't have a hump in it where it begins, you're good to go. You will be using the appropriate padding under the laminate so it all should work fine.