Pine floors

Old 08-02-00, 10:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

What is the best way to refinish a pine floor? I have refinished an oak floor, but am not sure if it would be the same with pine. Is it safe to sand pine with a floor sander( not the drum type)? If so what grit should I use? ANy help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-00, 09:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Get Don Bollingers book "Hardwood Floors: Laying, sanding and refinishing".

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I don't know how to answer this type of question reasonably whithout writing a book myself. It's like. "I just bought a jet. How do I fly it?". Anyway, it's a good book to get familiar with what's involved. Good luck.

Scott www.stephensfloor.com

Old 08-03-00, 05:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I just finished sanding a pine floor and finishing it for a costomer - about 600 sq. ft. I used a drum sander and sanded just like I do oak floors. You have to be careful because the wood is softer and will gouge more easily. We sanded up to 100 grit. We edged the floor and also went up to 100 grit. After the 100 grit, there were some swirl marks around the edges and I took them out with a random orbit sander.

Its done the same way but you have to be careful.

Put down 1 thinned coat of urethane and then 2 coats of full strength urethane following mfg. recommendations regarding drying times and recoat times.

Empty your sanding dust collector often and spread it out. Pine sawdust (actually all woods but pine especially) can undergo a heat and catch fire. Better to be safe than sorry.