Basement Bathroom Flooring Options

Old 03-07-10, 01:14 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Bathroom Flooring Options

I am having a full basement bathroom installed and just wanted to ask a few questions regarding flooring choices.
Half of the basement is already finished. So, we will be breaking through the wall that separates the finished from the unfinished side and adding a bathroom there.

The current finished area is on 2x4 sleepers with 3/4 plywood and covered in carpet.
So, the bathroom is framed out with 2x4 sleepers glued and red Tapcon screwed into the cement, with 3/4 tongue and groove underlayment sub-floor.

We were all set to do tile, but I found through a little bit of research that tile over concrete sleepers is a recipe for disaster. Moisture/dampness equals movement of 2x4s and therefore cracked grout/tile.

So, if we decide not to rip up the current floor and do a mudjob, then tile, what are our other options?

Can we do a engineered hardwood on top of 2x4 sleepers? Or laminate?
I'd rather not do vinyl or linoleum...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

mm

Old 03-07-10, 04:30 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Any kind of wood floor in a bathroom really isnt a good idea. While you dont like vinyl, it would be a better choice than wood.

Old 03-10-10, 01:38 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My Opinion is go with vinyl allure , because its a waterproof , choose the dark color so that the stains will be swiped out easily.

Old 03-10-10, 05:54 AM
Depending on the use of that bathroom, and looking for the best possible choice for you being that you don't like lino, if you really want the floating wood type look of flooring, Formica would be the best choice.

It's hard, looks like wood, and is super easy to install. The hardest part of installing Formica is being sure to don't chip the pieces during installation. That is where most of the issues occur because it is very brittle. Formica is pretty much waterproof but you do still have the seams to contend with.

It's cheap, super easy to install, and the looks are pretty good.

If the Bath is going to be used everyday I would suggest the lino or vinyl. If you know it won't be used as much (being in the basement and all) I think it's feasible to believe that Formica would hold up very well for you. It doesn't dent or scratch and is very durable, and as I said, takes water very well. Again, it would be the seams you would have to contend with over time.

But it's also cheap enough to be able to get a few good years out of it and not worry about having to redo it if it starts to go south.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: