Replacing flooring in Finished Basement

Old 03-08-10, 08:06 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing flooring in Finished Basement

I found an area on my basement carpet with mold. It was under a bookshelf, so festered for a long time. I pulled up the carpet and yanked the base moulding. Looks like it's an old, one-time event. Carpet's in bad shape, but only a small area. I can deal with the mold....

Now, we're trying to decide what to do with this basement. We expect to be here for another 10 years. The house is 9 years old. The finished part of the basement is about 1,300 sqft. We're considering three options:

1. Leave it alone. Clean up the carpet as well as can be, stick it back down to the tack strips, and be done with it. The area is small and largely hidden. It is a viable option. Costs little.

2. Replace all the carpet in the finished part of the basement. People who owned the house before us had dogs. It's got a "shadow" from the dogs' grime (plus a few urine stains, not serious) that my wife hates. We also have cats who seem to want to mark their territory when they find dog odors. Again, annoying, but not terrible. The cats behave on new carpet where we installed it elsewhere in the house. (Around $3,500)

3. Replace much of the carpet with floating laminate flooring. We found the Harmonics flooring at Costco that vaguely matches the solid hardwood on the ground floor (Beautiful mahogany wide planks....) It would cost under $2,000 and be self-installed. It solves the cat issues, looks good, and is priced right...

I'm researching option 3....

Thanks for looking!

Old 03-08-10, 11:53 AM
    J
    Upvotes: 0
    Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
    Mold's not much of an issue.

No mold on the studs, no moisture behind the insulation, very little on the insulation, carpet has quite a bit, leading me to believe it didn't come from outside, but maybe someone spilled something indoors that wicked up and into the carpet and hardboard bookshelf verticals. Pad's bone dry, with NO mold.

Tack strips are black (I'll replace 'em...) Back of carpet is black ONLY where the bookshelf verticals compressed the carpet.

Concrete walls are bone dry (literally bearing the dust from construction....) Plates are pressure treated and dry.

I've sprayed the entire area with bleach, removed (and will replace) all the affected drywall and baseboard. I've discarded the bookshelves and have begun repeated shampooing of the carpet to remove the mold. Then, I'll disinfect the carpet and let it dry thouroghly. Most of the discoloration remaining in the carpet is from the (red) bookshelf verticals. OxiClean and bleach took out pretty much all the black stains.Beer 4U2

If I stay with the existing carpet, I won't put anything on that area for a year or so until I'm sure the issue won't recur.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: