hard wood over vinyl

Old 08-17-00, 07:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Bruce flooring claims that some of their hard wood floors can be installed over the existing vinyl sheet floor and I've heard it would be a good barrier for a floating floor. If so, Which would be best, nail, glue or self-stick? What type of floor prep would be necessary besides cleaning with TSP?
Thanks for your help,
Tobette

Old 08-17-00, 09:25 AM
Visiting Guest
I would not use any self stick flooring period. How well is the vinyl stuck. If it is not stuck well the wood will not be stuck well and you will have problems. I would suggest a nail down or a floating floor.

Old 08-17-00, 12:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Anytime nailing is possible, nail (or staple).

Old 08-17-00, 05:35 PM
Visiting Guest
A floating floor, like Bruce's Coastal Woodlands, can be installed over vinyl, providing the existing floor is not curling up and the floor is flat, dry and sound.

A glue down engineered floor can be installed over vinyl as long as the vinyl is glued very tighly to the underlayment, is clean with no wax, acrylic, etc., and is flat, dry and sound. BTW- I wouln't use Bruce's wood floor adhesive if you paid me. Try Bostiks Best "the glue from hell".

A nail down installation should NEVER be installed over particle board. If there is particle board underlayment underneath the vinyl it needs to come out.

Vinyl doesn't make that great of a moisture barrier. If there are seams that are not tight or holes in the flooring moisture can get through. Also, the vinyl adhesive will not stand up to alot of moisture itself, making it the weak link in a floors adhesion chain.

Scott www.stephensfloor.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: